I think my parent nees care, what do I do?

The Aged Care Process

Step Two:
How can my parent apply for an assessment?

Your parent can get an assessment in a number of ways:

Your parent can visit their General Practitioner (GP). Your parent’s GP will refer them to a District Health Board (DHB) assessor. If your parent is in hospital, a nurse will arrange an appointment with the DHB assessor.


You can contact the DHB assessors and make an appointment yourself. Phone your District Health Board, and ask to speak to a Needs Assessor.


You can also ask a social worker or an organisation such as Age Concern to contact an assessor.

Find the contact details of the assessors on the Ministry of Health website

Step Three: How will my parent be assessed?

Step One: How do I know if my parent needs care?