I think my parent nees care, what do I do?

The Aged Care Process

Residential Care Loan

Your parent may be able to get an interest free loan – called a Residential Care Loan. His or her assets must be over the means test threshold. The reason why they are over must be the value of their home.

The loan is secured by a caveat over the person’s home. The loan is paid back when the person dies or the house is sold.

Can my parent get a Residential Care Loan?

Your parent needs to meet these conditions:

Your parent may be able to get a loan if they do not meet these conditions. Work and Income offers loans in exceptional circumstances. Applicants are considered on a case-by-case basis.

How to Apply

Complete the form “Residential Care Loan Application”. This is available from the Residential Subsidy Unit at Work and Income.

Find out more information about the Residential Care Loan on the Work and Income website


Step Seven: How do we choose the right rest home?

Step Six: Who pays for my parent's care?