I think my parent nees care, what do I do?

The Aged Care Process

Residential Care Subsidy Means Test

Your parent will need their assets and income tested to determine if they can receive the Residential Care Subsidy.

Asset Testing

Your parent’s assets will be tested to check if they are under the threshold.

Two asset thresholds apply:

Threshold A includes all assets. Threshold B excludes the family home and one car.

Threshold A will apply for single people and couples who are both in residential care.

Couples with one person in residential care can choose either Threshold A or Threshold B.

The term asset includes cash and savings, property and possessions.

If your parent has a partner, their income and assets are included in the assessment. This applies even they consider each other’s assets to be separate property. A partner is defined as being legally married, in a civil union, or in a de-facto relationship.

What happens if my parent is over the threshold?

Your parent will have to pay for care themselves. People who pay for care themselves are called private paying residents.

Click here for information about private paying

Income Testing

Your parent’s income will be assessed if their assets are under the threshold. The amount your parent will have to pay towards their care is determined by their income level.

The term income includes, but is not limited to:

Find out more about asset and income testing on the Ministry of Health website

Step Seven: How do we choose the right rest home?

Step Six: Who pays for my parent's care?